Sunday, 25 March 2012

All Work & No Play


A Description | Drawn By Ali Syed

It has recently come to my attention, that some sort-term neglection has been suffered by the old splog. I am of course, wholly at fault and I take full responsibility for my actions. (Oh Gosh, its just like being back at school).
If explanations count for anything, I have been absolutely choc-a-block with university work and may I just highlight that sitting in front of a laptop screen, for hours on end, does not a good time make. 
That being said, contemplating all the words that have been typed and considering all of the hours spent typing them, I feel it's only appropriate that you should evidence a little bit of whats been written . . .

 - For the following piece, we were asked to interview a 3rd year Fashion Design student and to then write that up as a feature for any magazine of our choosing. My designated boy was a young chap named Ali syed and my chosen magazine was Elle UK.

ALI SYED

The Indian-born designer, 22 talks to Rebecca-Elizabeth about ORIGAMI CONSTRUCTIONS, MAGPIE COMPARISONS and the people who make ‘such nice STUFF’

It’s an unwritten rule for all up and coming Fashion Designers: thou shall act and speak in such a way that suggest to the world, you’ve already made it. It is therefore, always such a pleasure to discover that young, rare talent who subtly opposes that very stereotyped theory. 
Pulling out the chair to my right-hand side, Ali syed is the Croydon-based epitome of effortless chic. 
He sits comfortably with his right leg crossed lightly over his left, dressed in a feasible outfit of dark denim and ribbed socks. ‘Everything I’m wearing is from Uniqlo - It’s the only place I can find my size,’ he says. 
Full of apologies for having missed our previous meetings, Ali then makes a casual observation about a key factor to our interview. ‘It’s just a shame I haven’t got any of my work, I could have shown it to you.’ 
In a matter of minutes, he takes my pen and sheets of paper and he begins to illustrate a particular shirt that he’s currently working on. 
Over the past three years, Ali has been working up to the current construction of his ‘first real collection.’ His attitude is surprisingly luxe and utterly self assured. ‘I’m like a magpie, I just pick out stuff that I like. If it works, it works and if it doesn’t then I start the whole process again.’ 
The clothes actually sound rather charming and innovative, especially considering that ‘there’s loads of people out there who make such nice stuff.’ Picture seamless shirts where the shape relies on the folds and the cut of the garment. If Ali hadn’t revealed the paper craft inspiration behind this collection, you couldn’t quite figure out how they’re done. ‘You know, paper constructions, paper architecture . . . I keep away from origami. Thats been done a lot of times.’ 
As with colour schemes and palettes, Ali openly cackles. ‘It is a very touchy subject’ he says in a slightly aggravated tone. Having changed from shades of ‘blues to barbie pinks,’ he insist that hes ‘had a real big problem with that.’ Listing off different ‘bright pinks’ and ‘light pinks’ so as to give me a mental image of whats to be expected, he then pulls out a contrasting wine-coloured zipper from his top right pocket. ‘Colours like this basically,’ Oh right, I see. Colours like that. 
In talks about other designers, Ali is excited by the prospect of working for American Designer, Thom Brown. ‘He’s very crazy but I love him.’ As with other fashion houses, he is less enthusiastic. Despite having three internships under his belt, he is very open about the other opportunities that he has purposely ignored. ‘I mean, there were other big ones but I didn’t take them because of what i’d heard from other people.’ 
A young man basing his decisions on idle gossip, perhaps Ali Syed is not as cool as I first thought. 


 . . . Not too shabby, I hope.


As for my next post, I start interning at Stella magazine for The Daily Telegraph on Monday. 

A crisp, new suit has just been hanging on the back of my door frame and I, for one, am only too excited about the very prospect of finally having the chance to prance and pose around in all its general splendour. 

Wish me luck boys and girls . . .
 . . . I'm as nervous as a kitten, really.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.